- Why Has My Hoverboard Become Unrideable?
- What to Do in Case of a Blinking Red Light?
- How to Reset a Hoverboard Battery?
- How to Reset and Calibrate Your Hoverboard?
- How to Reset and Calibrate a Hoverboard With a Mobile Application?
- How to Reset and Calibrate a Hoverboard With a Remote?
- Summing Up
If your hoverboard is acting up, try resetting or balancing it before going to a professional. Hoverboards need to be reset over time, and doing that on your own is a valuable part of owning this device.
In general, hoverboards have two motorized wheels that allow you to travel easily and quickly forward and back on the board. With regular use, however, hoverboards must be calibrated to ensure they work properly and are safe to ride. Calibrating or resetting it is also a good way to prevent any sudden vibrates, shakes, or improper functioning from the device.
Why Has My Hoverboard Become Unrideable?
If your hoverboard doesn’t balance or keeps giving you issues like sudden jolts of vibration, you may think it’s broken. But all you may need to do is recalibrate it. Resetting and calibrating become necessary when the gyroscopes of your board keep sending inaccurate data from the sensors to the logic board. Before dissecting your board and trying other remedies, take a few minutes to reset it properly.
What to Do in Case of a Blinking Red Light?
If your hoverboard is blinking red light, that could indicate any of the following issues:
- Loose cables;
- Circuit malfunction;
- Motor issues;
- Faulty or dead battery;
- Defective gyroscope.
Keep in mind that the number of times the light blinks on your hoverboard can give you a good insight into the problem. If the light blinks 2 to 3 times, the circuit of the device board is faulty and may require a replacement.
If it blinks 4 to 5 times consecutively, that usually shows a motor breakdown. If the red light blinks 6 times, you may be dealing with a damaged battery. Finally, if it blinks 7 to 8 times in a row, that could indicate a gyroscope or sensor-related problem.
Diagnosing a malfunctioning hoverboard is fairly easy. However, if you don’t have enough knowledge or skill set to perform a DIY diagnosis, it is best to leave it to professionals.
How to Reset a Hoverboard Battery?
If your hoverboard’s battery is not working after charging, it might be dead, and you will need to reset it. To ensure the battery is faulty, plug the charger into the socket and connect it to the hoverboard. If the light becomes red, the battery is fine, and your hoverboard is charging.
However, if the light becomes green, that could mean two things: either it is fully charged, or it is defective. Turn the hoverboard on to check if the battery is completely charged and working properly. If the hoverboard turns on and works normally, that could only mean the battery is faulty, and you need to buy a new one.
How to Reset and Calibrate Your Hoverboard?
- Turn off the hoverboard by pressing and holding the power button for 10 seconds;
- Ignore any beeping or flashing lights. This simply means that the hoverboard needs to be reset to balance properly;
- When you hold down the button, the reset process begins. So, make sure not to push any buttons or try to move them;
- Wait 30 seconds while the hoverboard fully resets;
- The hoverboard is now reset and ready to be turned on. Check whether the reset was successful by powering up the board again. If you notice that the hoverboard has not been reset, repeat the process before opening the board to check the cables;
- After the reset, you may need to recalibrate your hoverboard. After all, it has been completely reset to factory settings.
Before you can begin recalibrating your hoverboard, ask yourself if it’s necessary. As yourself:
- Is my hoverboard balanced?
- Have I recalibrated it before?
- Is my hoverboard fully charged?
If the answer to all questions is ‘yes,’ you may have a different issue entirely.
How to Reset and Calibrate a Hoverboard With a Mobile Application?
Some hoverboards are Bluetooth-powered. These devices allow you to connect to them using your smartphone through Bluetooth. If your hoverboard is Bluetooth enabled, then it will have a mobile app that can be used to calibrate your device. Here’s how you can do it.
- Before you can begin, make sure you have the application installed on your phone;
- Connect your hoverboard to the app;
- Place the device on an even surface so that both sides are level with each other;
- Go to the app and look for the option “calibrate the unit” option;
- Follow the instructions carefully;
- Press the power button and turn the device off;
- Wait for around 10 to 30 seconds, then power it on again.
How to Reset and Calibrate a Hoverboard With a Remote?
Some hoverboards have a remote containing all the buttons to control their features. You can calibrate your remote-controlled hoverboard via the remote easily using the steps below:
- Place your hoverboard on a flat surface and turn it on by pushing the power button;
- Search for a ‘reset the unit’ or ‘calibrate the unit’ option and press it. The calibration process will start, and different lights will start flashing;
- Wait a few minutes until the flashing stops;
- When the calibration completes, the hoverboard will automatically turn on, and the reset will be successful;
- Ride the hoverboard slowly using protective gear to ensure that it’s working fine.
Read Your Hoverboard’s User Manual First
Although the calibration and resetting procedures outlined above apply to almost all hoverboards, it is still recommended that you read the device’s user manual first. There could be slight differences when it comes to how your specific model resets, which is why you want to be sure.
If you can’t find the manual, you can contact the manufacturer directly via email or phone and ask them for the exact directions. You can also check out their website online and get in touch with their customer service representative.
Many online brands have customer forums where you can ask questions related to the calibration process of your hoverboard. Lastly, you can also try reading information on platforms like Reddit, Quora, and different Facebook groups. Many people buy hoverboards online and post detailed instructions, which can give you a good insight into the problems that you may face.
Hoverboards contain a range of smart electronic parts, including weight sensors and gyroscopes. The gyroscope detects the rider’s motion and sends commands to the motherboard to act accordingly. Sometimes, the signals or connection between the sensors and gyroscope becomes disrupted for various reasons, thus requiring calibration.
Thankfully, resetting and recalibrating hoverboards do not require a lot of work and a complex skill set. Use the above-mentioned steps to get your device working seamlessly again. If you face any confusion or persistent issues, it is best to have a professional take a look rather than do DIY experiments.
If you are looking for a premium-quality hoverboard that delivers a smooth ride, complies with RCM regulations, and won’t break the bank, check out Hoveroo Elektra Hoverboard. The device features a certified battery, charger, and a patented brushless motor with an HX chip sensor to ensure a safe riding experience. Moreover, the company has built a solid reputation for providing top-tier self-balancing scooters.